Wednesday July 7th , 2011 1. Attending Paula Keirstead, Social Planning Council Board Mario Lopes, Professional Property Managers Association Louis Ricciuto, Social Planning Council, Poverty Advisory Committee Member Monique Patenaude, SPCW, Poverty Advisory Committee Member Christine Samborski, North End Women’s Centre Dennis Lewycky, Social Planning Council
2. Report on Provincial Bed Bug Coalition
- The provincial action on the bed bug issue is rolling out slowly. Mario is the co-chair of the Coalition and noted what is being done now. So far, the government has;
- Bulk ordering of the bb kits is underway, with information being sent out and the Manitoba Distribution Authority (MDA) prepared to facilitate the distribution.
- Small grants are now available for organizations to take on the control of BBs – information on how to apply for the grants is available at http://www.gov.mb.ca/bedbugs/index.html or at www.spcw.mb.ca.
- A ‘bug and scrub’ program is now available to help individuals deal with BBs in their homes. An individual can get support, with the sponsorship of an organization, that will help pay for dislocation and treatment. Information is available at 1 855 362 2847 – the government’s BB Hotline.
- A Coalition Coordinator is not yet been hired but someone is expected on the job by September.
- The next meeting of the Coalition is August 4th
3. BBTF blog
SPCW has set up a Bed Bug Blog for the Task Force – go to http://www.spcw.mb.ca and the Bed Bug Blog button. There will be information for anyone on what is happening with the Task Force or the government programs. Each section of the Blog will also have a Reply button where readers can easily send questions or comments. The blog with be managed for the Task Force by the SPCW.
4. Community Consultation
The SPCW consultation, for the government has started.
- Sue Hemphill has been hired and is setting up the events for the consultation
- Different agencies are being contacted to be part of the consultation
- Different survey tools are being developed so that information can be gathered from a diversity of groups
- She will be reporting on consultation progress to the BBTF meetings
- A final report on the consultation will be going to the government in September.
5. Next MeetingThursday August 11th, 2011 – 1:00 to 2:30 pm